By Mitch Neff.
Beers with Talos (BWT) Podcast episode No. 70 is now available. Download this episode and subscribe to Beers with Talos:
If iTunes and Google Play aren't your thing, click here.
Recorded Jan. 6, 2020
There is a looming cyber conflict on the horizon between the U.S. and Iran. We use all our time this week to discuss the situation at hand and take a hard look at what you should have already done foundationally. The crew offers insight and analysis of what nation-state cyber conflict looks like and what you can do to elevate your security strategy to the next level in an uncertain time of increased suspicion.
- 00:45 — Roundtable: CATS! and other weird things.
- 11:00 — Iran rundown: Framing the situation and how nation-state actors work
- 17:50 — A period of increased suspicion; taking alerts to the ground
- 22:30 — Offense is tactical, but defense is a strategic game
- 29:30 — Lessons learned from NotPetya
- 35:30 — Beyond just the basics and defense-in-depth
- 41:30 — Open-source and lower-cost defense options
- 44:10 — Closing thoughts and parting shots
Links and resources:
- Iran situation background information
- List of SMB security tools from Red Wolf Intelligence
- List of open-source AWS security tools
Subscribe via iTunes (and leave a review!)
Check out the Talos Threat Research Blog
Subscribe to the Threat Source newsletter
Follow Talos on Twitter
Give us your feedback and suggestions for topics: email@example.com