Beers with Talos (BWT) Podcast episode No. 71 is now available. Download this episode and subscribe to Beers with Talos:
If iTunes and Google Play aren't your thing, click here.
Recorded Jan. 17, 2020
PowerShell is a frequent flyer in security headlines — a powerful and oft-wielded tool for attackers and defenders alike. This episode takes a look at PowerShell and how to help ensure its security posture as an effective management tool. We also look at the missing-the-forest-for-the-trees concept behind being concerned about the latest shiny ATP before all else.
- 00:50 — Roundtable Q&A: Nigel questions Craig's mid-life crisis
- 07:00 — PowerShell and being a master of your Windows universe
- 13:15 — Using PowerShell with security in mind
- 29:05 — Defense-in-depth (a fave topic): Strategy, not tactics, is how to defend against APTs
- 44:00 — Closing thoughts and parting shots
Links and resources:
- Microsoft guidance on securing PowerShell
- Mitre guidance on PowerShell
- Don’t need PowerShell? MS says block it
- How Craig gets pulled into Twitter rants
Featuring: Craig Williams (@Security_Craig), Matt Olney (@kpyke) and Nigel Houghton (@EnglishLFC).
Hosted by Mitch Neff (@MitchNeff)
Subscribe via iTunes (and leave a review!)
Check out the Talos Threat Research Blog
Subscribe to the Threat Source newsletter
Follow Talos on Twitter
Give us your feedback and suggestions for topics: email@example.com