If iTunes and Google Play aren't your thing, click here.
By Mitch Neff.
Recorded Aug. 14, 2020
Let’s talk about FUD. It’s not enough to just say FUD sucks. Let’s talk about exactly how and why producers of FUD are garbage nightmare monster people. We also cover how they are actually damaging themselves, not just the people and organizations that buy their hype. We have rather strong opinions on this, so we invited Meredith Corley, an actual professional on the topic, to break it down for us all. Meredith is our security communications and PR director (previously of Cisco Duo and BlackHat fame) and takes us through spotting, defusing and refuting FUD in the security community. And for more on FUD, you can also listen to the Talos Takes episode covering this topic.
- 00:45 — Roundtable: Making music, machining metal, and missing merriment
- 07:30 — Meet Meredith. She isn’t just a security comms boss, she is OUR security comms boss
- 09:00 — Defining FUD: How it differs from other misinformation tactics
- 12:30 — The systematic media/buyer route. Why FUD works.
- 19:30 — The long-term detriment to purveyors and consumers of FUD
- 26:00 — FUD and trust cannot coexist - choosing trust is the only defensible option
- 32:30 — There is a time for everything, except for FUD in the marketplace
- 34:30 — Closing shots, parting thoughts
- Fighting Cybersecurity FUD (Security Week)
- Why Security Pros Are Addicted to FUD (CSO)
- Cut the FUD (HelpNet Security)
- War of the Currents (Wikipedia)
- What to Expect When You’re Electing: Election Security Primer (Talos)
Subscribe via iTunes (and leave a review!)
Check out the Talos Threat Research Blog
Subscribe to the Threat Source newsletter
Follow Talos on Twitter
Give us your feedback and suggestions for topics: firstname.lastname@example.org